CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Windsor Castle

Today we decided to head to Windsor Castle.  I have been dying to go ever since we arrived and it looks absolutely amazing just driving by on the motorway.  I am determined to go somewhere very English every Saturday.  Today it is cold, rainy and windy.... a perfect day to spend indoors at the castle.  Also, Sunday is the "Will and Kate" one year anniversary and Monday is the Queens birthday - what better weekend to spend at Windsor!  I am secretly hoping to see someone famous :)

Windsor is wonderful.  The shops, the cafes, and the castle.  And the countryside is breathtaking - I can see why the royal family has resided here for 900 years.

We parked at the closest carpark we could find, River Street and headed up the hill to Windsor Castle.  I was shocked because I truly had no idea that the castle was so big.  I should have known, or realized, but it was still so shocking.  There is a HUGE castle wall and then inside the wall the actual castle  is like it's own village within the city of Windsor. It is picturesque.  I can hardly wait to return on a sunny day!!

From the official website of the British Monarchy www.royal.gov.uk


Windsor Castle is an official residence of The Queen and the largest occupied castle in the world. A Royal home and fortress for over 900 years, the Castle remains a working palace today.

The Queen uses the Castle both as a private home, where she usually spends the weekend, and as a Royal residence at which she undertakes certain formal duties....Windsor Castle is also a busy visitor attraction. Many parts of the Castle are open to the public, including the precincts, the State Apartments, Queen Mary's famous dolls' house, St George's Chapel, and the Albert Memorial Chapel.

When The Queen is in official residence, Changing the Guard provides a colourful spectacle in the quadrangle.


Sudesh was in town so he came along on our visit.  Fun to spend time with him again.  




The Guards are marching since the Queen is here today.

Beautiful gardens.  It is so amazing here.

This is the part of the castle where the Queen lives.


Check out the guard!!  Just before taking this picture, ditzy mom (yes, that's me) was almost run over by the guards marching.  I didn't think I was in their way, I really thought they would go another direction.  Then they YELLED at me, yes me, "Make way for the Windsor Castle Guard!!"  Yes, they yelled it at me.  I was so very embarrassed and couldn't believe that I had almost made them miss a step, or else run me over.  A very exciting time for sure!


No comments: