CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 24, 2009

Mamma Devil Horns

"Mamma Devil Horns" is the term I like to use to describe what happens to me when I am pushed over the edge by my children. I really think that I literally grow them out of my head and then turn into this completely different person than who I really am. Along with the horns comes this loud, low gravely voice that obviously doesn't really belong to me (come on, I have heard myself on an answering machine and I know I have a high, squeaky, obnoxious voice). This summer I was determined to not grow the horns. I planned fun, created jobs, and just let the kids be kids. I was more successful than I have been in years and it has truly been one fabulous summer. I am more relaxed and they seem happier. As we come to the end of Summer Vacation we are happy and hopefully ready for school to begin (in 2 1/2 more weeks!!!!). In fact, last week may have been the best week yet. I worked really hard to be patient (something you would think I would have learned by now) and the kids were nice to me.

As I look back at what I did differently I realized it was all about balance. In a world that is pushing for "Me" time in order to be a better mom, I am realizing that this is not the answer. When I am trying to have "Me" time, I become irritated when the kids bother me. Not the best result. But when I give in to their every need, the results are even worse. This summer I tried to love them more and spend one-on-one time with each. But I think the most important thing I did was get them to work (Colby's idea) and serve me a little. This lightened my load. I still made time for me (you should see my nails, hair, new clothes & jewelry, etc.) and they were also happy. Now, the key will be to keep this up during the school year. Hopefully we can find a new balance amid all the activities they are scheduled to do.... we will see.

But for now, we are happy.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Good for you! I think I have some of those devil horns at times. Thanks for the inspiration, you're such a great mom and sister of course!